Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Avalanche warning at Mont Blanc/Monte Bianco.


It's hard for me to believe that this was just this past Saturday morning! We left about 6:30 am from our little part of France to head to Italy via the Mont Blanc/Monte Bianco tunnel. I was really excited about this part because it's such a beautiful ride and I know that there's an amazing espresso place  just waiting on the other side of the tunnel...


Those of you who follow the blog's Facebook page may already know how this story goes, but for those of you who don't, we were met with a little bit of a surprise at about 1500 m...


...in the form of an avalanche warning.


Which was really good since we were locked in traffic with nowhere to go forwards or backwards...So what did we do?


We had an avalanche picnic!


Complete with coffee, a baguette, some onion and chive spread, clementines, and chocolate. Not like this part was a major surprise, because I always bring snacks. (I'm an angry hungry person.)


About 45 minutes or so later the warning was lifted and we started moving up the mountain again...


...and through the tunnel...


...to where there was a delicious cup of espresso waiting for us in Courmayeur, Italy.


En fin.

A la prochaine friends...
 
Honey

2 comments:

  1. Snacks always save the day.
    I really like your hair band :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's my "holy crap it's 6:00 am I need something sparkly to wake me up" head band!

    ReplyDelete