Saturday, December 15, 2012

Thoiry flu.

 
Ugh!
Sorry for the lack of posts this week, but I was fighting a bug, and by the time Wednesday night came around I just couldn't win in convincing myself that I was not getting sick.
Luckily Doc took good care of me and made me chicken noodle soup from scratch, as well as buckets of calm nuit tea with honey and ginger in it. I am feeling more like my old self today, so that's definitely progress.
 
 
I did however manage to squeeze a few little adventures in before my Thoiry flu took hold, like a day in Geneva...
 
 
...and some dialogue studying time at CERN...over beers.
 
 
Doc also surprised me one night when he claimed dinner making responsibilities, by adding in a cheese-y little baked appetizer...looks delicious, doesn't it? We dipped sauteed brussel sprouts and bread in it. He made one for each of us - for me with Beaufort cheese, and for him with Morbier. It was kind of like a little individual sized baked fondue, but one where you don't have to compete with the other person and worry about losing your dipping morsels in the cheese. If you live in a house like mine, there are specific house rules as to who claims what has fallen in the pot...but maybe cheese etiquette is better left for another post...however if you want to make a dish like the above, here's how to do it:
 
Doc's Individual Sized Baked Cheese Appetizer:
 
1. Take your cheese of choice, cut off the rind if its of the inedible variety, and slice the cheese into 1/8 inch thick pieces.
 
2. Layer them in an oven proof/broiler proof bowl. We used Emile Henry Creme Brulee plates.
 
3. Put them in the oven on broil, and when the top of the cheese reaches it's desired looking burnt/bubbly-ness, it's done. Since it'll be hot, putting it on a trivet of some sort is a good idea for the sake of your table.
 
4. Dip delicious morsels into the cheese and eat them!
 
Bon ap!
 
A la prochaine friends!
 
Honey


1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy that you appreciate cheese like I do :)
    I have loads of Raclette cheese left over from the weekend and since we won't have time to do a proper raclette before Xmas, I've been coming up with all sorts of ways to use the cheese... Monday I made a tartiflette with it, and last night I was stuffing pork chops full of it (and added a slice on top of each for good measure). It was all so delicious but I'll be jogging forever.

    ReplyDelete