Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Beach in Vernazza, Cinque Terre, Italy.


It's crazy to me, but after such an epic 10 day trip to Italy you'd think I would want to stay home for awhile. That's at least what I thought until this morning. February, a month I typically dislike, is shaping up to be an awesome month of epic travel, with some very good friends of ours coming out to see us in good 'ole SwitzerFrance. With that in mind I'm very excited to continue to show you the pictures from our January trip, and continue where we left off, at the beach in Vernazza, Cinque Terre, Italy...


The recovery efforts are in full effect in Vernazza, where flash flooding and landslides that took place in October of this past year devastated the city with over 4 meters of water and mud...


In case you were wondering, that is indeed a really messed up car on the beach and children playing soccer right next to it...


In Piazza Marconi, the main square in Vernazza, there were tents set up with a community kitchen, which I imagine was for relief workers...


The sign for Taverna del Capitano has been virtually wiped away...


...and there were people outside in the piazza working on the furniture for this bar/restaurant, which I took as a good sign...


Destroyed car and a burnt tree trunk...
 

Part of a chimney on the beach...


More debris on the beach...


I think that is another piece of the chimney in the water...


Big rocks knocked into the laps of benches...


Want to help Vernazza? Go there in 2012. Can't get there this year and want to donate? Go here to the Save Vernazza website! Want to help Monterosso too? Go here to help Rebuild Monterosso! You can also keep up with them on twitter at @cinque_terre, @savevernazza and @rebuildmonterosso.

A la prochaine friends...
 
Honey

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I had no clue it was like this. Thanks for the photos and the links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Vernazza so well. I see the place where we ate lunch and had some wonderful pasta in one of your pictures. Thanks for reminding everyone about how beautiful this area is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pleasure! I'm excited to see where the city is a year from now in terms of rebuilding. We're hoping to get back there in the fall, so I'm hoping to see lots of improvements by then!

    ReplyDelete