Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Vernazza, Via Roma Part 2, Cinque Terre, Italy.


I mentioned in yesterday's post about Vernazza that during our visit on Sunday, 22 January, we noticed that all of the doors on the street level were gone. Many of the doorways had temporary doors in what was once an empty space, and over the last few weeks artists have been flocking to Vernazza to paint murals on the doors themselves, and they really are beautiful.


I want to paint a mural on that door!


Looking up Via Roma towards the train station...


There used to be a large stone structure here that formed a barrier between this hole in the cliff that leads to the sea and the street...


I think the door above was my favorite...


Oh I really like the above one too!


Support structures across Via Roma...


Aren't the new doors of Vernazza wonderful? Yesterday I was sent a tweet by @cinque_terre that sent me a link to more beautiful pictures of the new doors of Vernazza, and I figured I'd pass on that link action to all of you.

As I mentioned before it was very difficult to see Vernazza in such a state post flash flooding/landslides from the storm in October of this past year, but I felt very special to be able to be in Vernazza during this time and to be able to document what it looks like now. My hope is that others who love the Cinque Terre and Vernazza as much as we do can see how much they need our help right now to get back to their former glory. If you can, go visit in 2012! And again, if you'd like to donate to help Save Vernazza, click here! And to donate to Rebuild Monterosso, click here!

Look out tomorrow for pictures from the beach and Piazza Marconi in Vernazza.

A la prochaine friends...
 
Honey

No comments:

Post a Comment