Here we are at the end of week 4 of my propagating fig cuttings in water experiment, and there's been a lot to report over the last four weeks. (For a review of past weeks, check for the links at the bottom of this post.) Five cuttings, three different windows of our house, all in water. Read on for the week 4 update!
There's not much to report with fig cutting #1, except that the leaves are getting a little bit bigger...
...and that some of the root nubs have gotten a little bigger as well. Hopefully this means that in the next week or so we will see the beginning of actual roots.
On cutting #2 however, also in the left window of our living room, we are finally starting to see the beginning of real roots! That root measures in at about 1/2 of an inch long. Hooray for progress!
Remember the little leaves mixed in with the root nubs? Well they have gotten a bit bigger...
...as have the leaves growing at the top third of the cutting.
As for cutting #3, there has been even more root growth, with the roots extending beyond the length of the bottom of the cutting...
...and the leaves have definitely increased in size from last week.
Cutting #4, also in the right window of our living room, has had an incredible amount of root growth since last week...
...with a big increase in the size of it's leaves as well.
The little bud of last week is definitely increasing in size too.
As for cutting #5, which is located in front of our bedroom window, there isn't much to report except that the root nubs appear to be getting bigger, but no actual roots yet to speak of.
The leaves for cutting #5 aren't looking much different than last week, other than being a little larger.
If you remember from last week's post, I was originally planning on potting cutting #3 this week. I decided to wait, and my reason is purely for aesthetic purposes. I'm typically a terra cotta purist when it comes to pots, but I decided I want to be a little fancy when potting these cuttings, and get a pretty, ceramic, made in France pot. I found the pot I want to use this weekend, but won't be able to get it for another week or two. So, it'll be interesting to see what happens to it in the jar of water over the next week or two, since it appears ready to go into soil. However, if it starts to look like it is taking a turn for the worse, I'll pot it in a terra cotta pot that I've got ready to go.
Check here next Monday for my next update - bring it week 5!
Just joining us? Want to review what I'm doing with this experiment?
A la prochaine friends...