Thursday, August 12, 2010

Oh Happy Day!


I'd like to start this post off with the confession that I was not supposed to go to Botanic today. There are a million other things that I felt I should be doing, until I saw this little lady...


[Florence Nightingale, Jr., our cherry tree...]

On July 12 of this year, exactly one month earlier than today, I planted 6 cherry pits from the cherries we had with our breakfast. One of those pits sprouted a tiny cherry plant, and today, that tiny cherry plant is getting a little too big for her pot. I decided to do a quick bike ride down to the Botanic store and figured I'd be back within the hour so I could get on with all that other important stuff I wanted to do today...and then, off in the distance, I saw the tree section...after swooning over all the apple, pear, kiwi, and table vin trees, I noticed a couple of huge fig trees and swooned some more. There is no fruit that I like better than a fig. None. My hope was that we would one day live in a place where we could have a fig tree, and here I was staring at them. It was then that I noticed 3 or 4 little sad looking trees in the back, about 2 or 3 feet tall, and realized that not only were they fig trees as well, but they were on SALE. Done and done.


[This little guy's comin' home with me...]


Lucky for me, this little guy fit perfectly in the bike basket that I confiscated from Dan, and even fit my backpack with 4 pots (one pot was injured on the 5 mile uphill ride back however). The ride back was actually much easier than I had thought, I just tried to pedal slow so that I didn't put him in more shock than necessary, or worse yet, fall out. It was also a lot easier than when Dan and I carried back a slightly larger olive tree from the Carrefour on the day were moving out of Ferney to our place in Thoiry.



And now the little guy is home. I know , he looks a little sad, with his too small plastic ugly pot and some brown on his leaves...but he's got a little fruiting going on, and I think with some TLC, a bigger pot, and the sun on our patio, he'll come around...now the next question is what to name him...any suggestions friends?

1 comment: